Supermarkets in the Cotswolds
All Cotswold market towns have a small supermarket in the center of town and most have other small food speciality shops (bakery, butcher, fruits and vegetables, deli).
There are several large supermarkets throughout the Cotswolds. Many supermarkets offer organic produce and products as well as non-organic. Most offer "prepared foods", full meals that you take home and microwave or heat up in the oven. These are not frozen, but are refrigerated. The ones from Waitrose are the best (IMO). These are convenient for the traveler who does not want to go out for dinner, but doesn't want to cook a full meal.
Supermarkets in England are pretty much like ours in North America. Large parking lot, shopping carts outside the front door (you do not need a coin to unlock them as in other European countries), prices clearly marked, credit cards taken at the checkout.
Two things to note about English supermarkets:
- You weigh and price your produce.
- On check out, you pack your own groceries. Plastic bags are provided, but I like to travel with some lightweight cloth shopping bags.
Note that road signs may indicate "Superstore", but do not name the chain.
- Waitrose: An upscale supermarket with good quality food products, many of them organic. Great prepared foods section. (Stores in Bath, Stroud, Cirencester, Cheltenham, Witney, Abingdon near Oxford and Stratford Upon Avon). Waitrose store locator
- Marks & Spencer (M&S): A large chain store with a clothing section and a food section (some branches only have the food section). The food section has a good selection of sandwiches, salads and prepared meals, but a small amount of groceries. Some are called Simply Food. (Small M&S in Cirencester, food only, and a larger store in Cheltenham. There are M&S Motorway stops on the M4 from London where you can pickup prepared meals to take home.) M&S store locator
- Tesco: Tesco is the largest supermarket chain in England (and is now opening stores in the US). They have large supermarkets in several locations in the Cotswolds and smaller "Tesco Express" shops in many towns. Large Tesco supermarkets in Stow-on-the-Wold, Cirencester, Stroud (and more). Tesco store locator
- Sainsbury's: Less upscale than Waitrose, but a good supermarket. There are several in the Cotswolds. Sainsbury store locator
- Other Chains: Other supermarket chains in the Cotswolds include Safeway, ASDA, etc.
Supermarkets in the Northern Cotswolds
Town on the A435, north of Cheltenham (on the road to Evesham).
- Tesco, in the center of town.
- Waitrose, off Gloucester Road (on the east side), south of the A4019/High Street, north of the train station. A John Lewis Home store is attached to the Waitrose.
- Tesco, off Gloucester Road (on the west side), south of the A4019/High Street, north of the train station.
- Sainsbury's on the Tewkesbury Road (A4019), on the western edge of town.
- Marks & Spencer on the main shopping street, 171 High Street. Clothing and large food store.
Stow on the Wold
- Tesco, on the A429 on the northern edge of town.
- Waitrose, off A40 to Oxford, in the Woolgate Shopping Center, near the High Street. Exit the A40 at the A415, going north to Witney, take the first right on Station Lane and follow that as it turns into Witan Way. You will see the Waitrose on your left.
- Sainsbury's, Witan Way north from the Waitrose.
Supermarkets in the Southern Cotswolds
Both Waitrose and Tesco are accessed from roundabouts on the roads that circle Cirencester.
- Waitrose at the roundabout on the A419 at Sheep Street on the western edge of town (second roundabout if coming from Stroud).
- Tesco off the A419 and A429 roundabout on the south-east (third roundabout if coming from Stroud).
- M&S Simply Food, 42 Dyer St in the town center (east end of Market Place).
- Tesco, 2 High Street.
- Waitrose at the roundabout on the eastern edge of the town on the A419 to Cirencester.
- Tesco at the roundabout between Stroud and Painswick, where the A46 meets the A4171, on the western edge of Stroud.
- Sainsbury's to the south of Stroud, on Dudbridge Road, at the roundabout before Selsley Hill road.
- Tesco, Priory Way off the A433 in the direction of Cirencester.
Supermarkets outside of the Cotswolds
South of Oxford, east of the southern Cotswolds.
- Waitrose, Abbey Close off Stert Street in the town center.
- Tesco, Marcham Rd, on the A415 west of town.
North of Broadway and Chipping Campden, northern Cotswolds.
- Tesco, on the Worcester Road (B4624), north of town.
- Marks & Spencer Simply Food in the Riverside Center, off the High Street.
West of Stroud, in the southern Cotswolds.
- Tesco, St Oswalds Rd, west of the A38.
- Sainsbury's, Barnett Way in Barnwood on the eastern edge off the A417.
Runs across the southern Cotswolds between Tetbury and Bath.
- On the M4 motorway from London to the Cotswolds - M&S Simply Food, Junction 13 (A34) and Junction 17-18 (Chippenham).
On the A40, east of Burford and the Cotswolds.
- Sainsbury's, 21 Westgate, in the town center.
Stratford Upon Avon
North of the Cotswolds.
- Waitrose, on the Shipston Road, south of town.
North-west of Winchcombe in the northern Cotswolds.
- Safeway, on the main road into town, on the east side.
- Tesco, in the center of town, off the High Street.
- Marks & Spencer Simply Food, 10b High Street.